We happened to patch our Q&A environment with August 2015 CU and we noticed few issues while installing the CU and also while testing the farm after the successful installation of the August 2015 CU for SharePoint 2013 . It’s a know fact that starting from SharePoint Server 2013 , it is no longer necessary to install the Foundation CU before the Server CU .The server CU already has the fixes for the foundation version and hence you can directly install the SharePoint Server 2013 CU .Now, lets talk about the issues which we noticed while installing the CU …..
Link for the CU :_ https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3055009
- The August 2015 CU for SharePoint 2013 doesn’t get installed properly when you attempt to do so .It fails for the first time giving no clue of what caused the failure to happen and once again it fails in the second attempt .Finally, if you try to run it for the third time it installs smoothly without any error .This is weird but at this point Microsoft has accepted this as an issue and hasn’t announced any fix for this yet .
It’s good to see that Microsoft has already documented this issue :_ http://blogs.msdn.com/b/tehnoonr/archive/2015/08/28/sharepoint-2013-august-2015-cumulative-update-package-fails-to-install.aspx
2. Now the second issue is with the “Search” .As you must be already aware that the August 2015 CU is mainly focused on hybrid search. The August 2015 CU seems to cause some trouble to the search centre after its installed .
Steps to repro the issue which I’m talking about related to search:
1. Go to search and type a user’s name in the search box .
2. When the results are presented , retype or change the query and run a search again , this time you will get an error which says “Field or property “TimeZoneId” does not exist and also a correlation ID related to that error . You can repro this if you try to toggle between the “Result sources” i.e. “Everything” and “ Associates “ in the search page.
3. You won’t get this error when you do the search query for the first time , just try to repeat it again and toggle between the “result sources” and then you will notice this error. Also if you switch between different user names in the search box you will notice this error .
Looks like many users have noticed this issue and this issue was supposed to be fixed with the July 2015 CU and it hasn’t been fixed yet. Please check the “comments” area in the below mentioned blog to know more about this : http://blogs.technet.com/b/stefan_gossner/archive/2015/08/11/august-2015-cu-for-sharepoint-2013-is-available-for-download.aspx
3. I carried on my testing once again and found another issue as well . Looks like Microsoft has reported this as a Bug and no fix has been announced yet . Please check the link below to know about this issue :
Hope Microsoft comes up with a fix for this bugs ASAP .
5 thoughts on “Issues with August 2015 CU for SharePoint 2013”
I have faced same search issue after installing July 2015 CU issue. Is this issue fixed in October 2015 CU?
Hi Kalpesh ,
Could you please let me know the issues which you faced after installing the July 2015 CU ? Recently we installed August 2015 CU in our Q & A environment and we were bitten very badly by that and couple of issues which we faced were addressed in the Oct 2015 CU . So if you could let me know the issues which you faced , I can take a look and let you know .
Magnificent goods from you, man. I’ve understand your stuff previous to and you’re just too
fantastic. I actually like what you’ve acquired here,
really like what you’re stating and the way
in which you say it. You make it enjoyable and you still care for to keep it wise.
I cant wait to read much more from you. This is really a
great web site.
Thank you so much Buddy . Your words mean a lot to me .I’ll keep posting more articles
This can really feel like lack of progress, but the aim of the acupuncture is
not only this short-term relief.